Friday, November 16, 2007

More on butterflies

Butterflies are always on my mind. I raise about 8 different species during the spring, summer and fall months. Those species I've raised include monarchs, painted ladies, black swallowtails, giant swallowtails, variegated fritillaries, red admirals, spicebush swallowtails, and gulf fritillaries. I ship most of these species to other states or within my own state overnight. People release them as part of their special celebrations. Funerals, memorials, weddings, receptions, birthday parties, anniversaries are just some of the events where a butterfly release is appropriate.
I also teach butterfly gardening classes. I have a butterfly garden in my yard that attracts many different species. Right now, it's looking pretty sad since we've had several frosts already. I leave all the plants in place during the winter so the birds can forage on the seeds and berries.

No comments: