Sunday, November 25, 2007

Butterfly gardening

Butterfly gardening is a learned art, but it is not difficult. The secret to attracting many species to your yard and being able to watch the lifecycle is to plant "host" and "nectar" plants. Host plants are those which butterflies lay their eggs on and the caterpillars eat. Nectar plants are those which the butterflies use to derive energy.
The best, in my opinion, nectar plant is the butterfly bush, or buddleia. They come in many colors, are hardy and irresistible to butterflies. Here in VA, they bloom from June through September. I cut mine back to about 18 inches each March, since they bloom on new wood. Mine get to be about 6 feet tall. Keeping them deadheaded throughout the summer will keep them blooming and producing more flowers. In some places they are regarded as being invasive, but if I see one coming up where I don't want it, I merely dig it up and move it to another place. Buddleias do best in full sun, but don't require much care. I don't water mine and they seem to thrive, even with our hot and dry summers.

No comments: